Fostering and Adoption Regulations and Guidance
Impact of Court Decisions on Adoption – Guidance from Adoption Leadership Board
The Adoption Leadership Board have drafted and published a "Myth-busting Guide ” to recent key Supreme and Court of Appeal judgements on adoption.
Please note that this content relates to England only.
The Adoption Agencies (Miscellaneous Amendments) Regulations 2013 have been issued to amend the Adoption Agencies Regulations 2005 by substituting a new Part 4 (Duties of Adoption Agencies in Respect of a Prospective Adopter). Part 4 makes provision for the assessment of prospective adopters and is amended to introduce a new two-stage approval process.
The Department for Education (DfE) has also issued new statutory adoption guidance to replace the 2011 version. It is current as of 01 July 2013. The main changes are a new Chapter 3 outlining the new two-stage adopter approval process for prospective adopters and the fast-track process for some previous adopters and foster carers, new guidance relating to “Fostering for Adoption” in Chapter 2 and new guidance relating to the Adoption Register in Chapter 3. The two-stage adopter assessment process applies to both domestic and intercountry adopters.
Additional resources have been issued by the DfE through the First4Adoption website such as the Customer Care Standards and the Adoption Passport.
The Care Planning, Placement and Case Review and Fostering Services (Miscellaneous Amendments) Regulations 2013 amend the Fostering Services (England) Regulations 2011 with respect to the assessment and approval of foster carers for looked-after children.
The revised DfE guidance covers the assessment and approval process as amended.
Finally Coram and BAAF's guidance explains 'Fostering for Adoption'. Links are provided below to all the relevant websites:
- The Adoption Agencies (Miscellaneous Amendments) Regulations 2013
- Statutory Guidance on Adoption – July 2013
- Customer Care Standards
- Adoption Passport
Implementing adoption reform
BAAF held a conference called 'Implementing adoption reform - A framework for child-centred adoption' on 04 July 2013. We've made a video with key clips from the day which you can watch below.
- The Care Planning, Placement and Case Review and Fostering Services (Miscellaneous Amendments) Regulations 2013
- Assessment and approval of foster carers: Amendments to the Children Act 1989 Guidance and Regulations, Volume 4: Fostering Services – July 2013
- Delegation of authority: Amendments to the Children Act 1989 Guidance and Regulations, Volume 2: Care Planning, Placement and Case Review - July 2013
- Flow diagram: assessment and approval process
Fostering for Adopton