Adoption activity days
Adoption activity days are events where adopters can meet a range of children waiting to be adopted in a prepared, supported, safe and fun environment. Adopters can attend before they are approved, as long as they are in Stage 2 of the new assessment process in England, or have a confirmed panel date elsewhere in the UK, and their social worker is confident they will be making a positive recommendation.This is a themed day full of lots of fun activities such as face painting, climbing, craft and soft play. The children’s foster carers and social workers attend the event with the children to support them.
Read our pdf Adoption Activity Day FAQs
We now have a good practice guide to help agencies to independently run their own Adoption Activity Days. Our How to Run an Adoption Activity Day guide includes comprehensive best practice and advice from experts at CoramBAAF.
Adoption Activity Day Dates
We have adoption activity days scheduled for the following 2015 dates::
- 28 November 2015 Cheshire. An opportunity to be referred to this event on a Pay to Play basis from any reasonable travelling distance. A fee will be charged though there are discounts for siblings. Adopter places are now full for this event; child referrals are still welcome.
- 6 February 2016 North West region. Now accepting referrals for children (a fee will be charged, although there are discounts available for sibling groups). Referrals for prospective adopters open on 18 December and will close on 15 January.
- 20 February 2016 London. Now accepting referrals for children (a fee will be charged, although there are discounts available for sibling groups). Referrals for prospective adopters open on 18 January and will close on 29 January.
- 5 March 2016 East Anglia. Referrals for prospective adopters open on 1 February and will close on 12 February.
- 19 March 2016 West Midlands. Now accepting referrals for children (a fee will be charged, although there are discounts available for sibling groups). Referrals for prospective adopters open on 15 February and will close on 26 February.
If you are an agency and have a child/children you would like to refer to an event, please let us know as soon as possible and send names to email@example.com (for 28 November event).
If you have any prospective adopters who would be interested in attending an Adoption Activity Day, or would like further information, please call 0207 520 0302 or email Adoption.ActivityDays@corambaaf.org.uk
The aims of the project
The project was externally funded and managed by BAAF, with Bridget Betts as Project Manager (Bridget went on to receive the Silver Award for overall leader of innovative practice at the Social Worker of the Year Awards 2012). The original aim was to facilitate four activity days in partnership with agencies in the East Midlands Consortium over the two years of the project. A fifth activity day in early March 2013 concluded the pilot.
There has been a close interest at ministerial level and the Department for Education announced in December 2012 that adoption activity days would be part of the government’s adoption reform agenda. Due to the success of the pilot this project now runs as a permanent service to agencies and consortia. Since 1st April 2013 the service has run a further 34 Adoption Activity Days and now works in partnership with 140 Local Authorities and Voluntary agencies to run Adoption activity days around the country.
We can now report that the outcomes from 17 of those 34 Adoption Activity days shows an overall matching rate of 26%.
Since 1st September BAAF have been pleased to have in post Sally Beaumont, a permanent manger, to oversee the future development of this flagship service.